Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to disable the auto-dialing? can't find solution fin control panel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chenwenjun

Technical User
Nov 9, 2002
RW
deeply bothered by pop-up auto-dailing windows, accidently I clicked "ok" once I was asked if I want to enable the auto dailing function, and later on, the system just keeps dailing automatically even I was not on the line. and I just can not disable it in control pannel.....

I start daulting I was planted with some secrete programs..

"up to the brim."

I am just going to quote Kelly Theriot here, as she covers the most common things to check:

Check your settings here:

Right click the My computer icon (Desktop), open Manage/Services and Applications/Services. In the right pane scroll down to Remote Access Auto Connection Manager and double click it. Use the Startup type drop box and choose Disabled.

Network Connections/Advanced/Dial-Up Preferences/Enable Auto-Dial by Location/Uncheck all locations and Always ask me before Auto-Dialing.

Also check all programs with a Notification Area icon (system tray) for an option to disable or not start at startup. Most can be unselected here: Start/Run/Msconfig/Startup and/or removed from here: Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Disable Automatic Modem Connections at Startup

If remote connections are enabled in Windows, the system may try to initiate an Internet connection at Windows startup or at the start of many applications. This setting disables that behavior.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole. Value Name: EnableRemoteConnect, Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value), Value Data: "Y" = enable automatic connections, "N" = disabled.

Create a new String value, or modify the existing value, called 'EnableRemoteConnect' and edit the value according to the settings above. Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

Modify the Internet Auto-Dial Settings

Windows has the option to automatically dial your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to establish an Internet connection. This option can be controlled using this tweak.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

Create a new binary value named "EnableAutodial", and set the new value to equal "01 00 00 00" to enable autodial or "00 00 00 00" to disable it.

Note: This restriction can be used either on a user by user basis by adding it to HKEY_CURRENT_USER or on a computer wide basis by adding it to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

To view the list of names and addresses recorded by AutoDial, type the following command at a command prompt: rasautou -s

To delete a name or address entry from the list: Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\RAS Autodial\Addresses

You can delete any TCP/IP addresses that you see under this key. Note that AutoDial can use IP addresses, DNS fully qualified domain names (FQDN), and NetBIOS names.

source:
Finally, scan to make certain there are no trojan dialers installed. I would use the Microsoft Antispyware Beta:

Try IE/ Tools/ Internet Options/ Connections/ and check the box "Never dial a connection".

Specifies that Internet Explorer not automatically dial a connection for you when you need to connect to the Internet. You must first manually start your dial-up connection and then connect to the Internet.

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Install SP2 (if you haven't) and visit Windows Updates.

thank you both, as to linneys solution, I tried already, it did not work.

I still have hope in Bcastners solutions, yet, I have not got time to try them all yet, (sorry) but with "Manage/Services and Applications/Services", it did not work. but I will try them all in these 2 days, and I will let you guys know

Wenjun

"up to the brim."

Hi, if linneys solution didn't work there's great chances that you have a dialer installed.

See the FAQ in the linneys post made by the excellent bcastner about have to remove adware/spyware.

Hope this helps. Please let know if this resolve your issue

Jeff

thanks,
It was finally solved. by using Bcastner's 2nd opition, which is to add a key value "EnableAutodial", and set it as 00 00 00 00 in
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings"

It seems can't be solved otherwise.
and it did seem like a auto dailer embedded.

xiexie (thank you all)

Wenjun

"up to the brim."

sorry, typing mistake,
I meant it did NOT seem like a auto-dailer embedded.

"up to the brim."

I am happy you got the issue sorted.
This can be a tough one, at times.

Best wishes,
Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back