Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Disable sound device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prattaratt

Technical User
Aug 6, 2000
US
I am wanting to develop a service that would either mute or disable the sound on a computer (Win 2000) upon receipt of a command from a remote computer. (Disabling the sound card would be preferable to me.) I cannot for the life of me figure out how to go about disabling the sound device from within the framework of a service or program, and all of the references on controlling sound levels seem to give away the fact the computer is being externally manipulated. If someone could point me in the general direction, much obliged.

all of the references on controlling sound levels seem to give away the fact the computer is being externally manipulated]

Right. Otherwise it would be considered malware.

It might be classified as malware, but I am at my absolute wit's end on how to get a co-worker to abide by the noise policies that were put into place specifically because of his disregard for his co-workers sensibilities. (Some people are just complete, well you know.) Our supervisor is physically located at another site, and does not come to our location but about once a week. We have a small office and the router we have does not allow for specific IP/website blocking, so I was looking at this as a possible alternative. The reason I wanted it to be nondescript was so he would not be able to undo it right away. So, is it malware in the strictest sense? Yes, but not in the grander scheme of things. It's not being designed to spread to other computers, and would only be used with management approval, and would have to be installed directly on the office computer(s).

>but I am at my absolute wit's end on how to get a co-worker to abide by the noise policies that were put into place

Sometimes a technological solution isn't the best way to resolve a management problem...

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back