Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to disable sleep button on keyboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsss

Programmer
Mar 17, 2004
US
I want to disable the power/sleep buttons that are on my keyboard, since I accidently hit them and turn the computer off.

Is this something that has to be disabled in bios? This is on a dell lattitude laptop c610 and I don't know how to get into the bios before the harddisk encryption software takes control.

Go to Display Properties, Screensaver tab, Power button, Advanced tab, and for "When I press the sleep button on my computer"... choose "Do nothing".

Hmmmm.... On that tab, there are only 2 choices for the sleep button and the power button: they are "power off" and "standby". There is also an option for when I close the lid of my laptop, which I previously was able to set to "none".

Maybe this is a dell specific option here? I thought those choices were for the power button of my laptop anyway, which I do want to have functional (as opposed to the buttons on my external keyboard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back