Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to disable report caching in CR9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

accuransx

Programmer
Sep 23, 2000
MY
Why can I view the most recent and updated data with my report? I've to wait for a long time (more than 5 minutes) to get the correct report results. How to disable CR9 reports cache?

Hi there,

If you are coding and using RAS have you had a look at the Refresh Method in the RAS SDK? It clears both the client's cache and the server's cache according to the RefreshOptions Property.

cheers...J

Hi,

Some more information - this may be more what you're looking for. Reports are cached for 20 mins by default. You can change this in the registry settings:
PrintJobsCacheMaxDataAge(sec)
I had to find out myself the other day so thought I'd share it.

cheers...J

Seems to be a bit unclear. You mentioned you are using CR9. Are you running the reports in the CR designer itself or using RAS or Enterprise or some other method?

If you are only using the designer, there is no cache. If your report is taking 5 minutes or so to come back, it is because of the processing on the database side. I notice this a lot with stored procedures that take a while to run. With SP, the proc must run to completion before any data is returned back then the whole report will be served up.

Also, if you are looking to speed a report up (in Enterprise managed reports), clearing the cache will not do it. Cache is designed to provide a way to quickly serve up identical requests and eliminates the need for another database hit. Since you are wanting new data, this would constitute a new request for which new cache would be created.

On this note, if you are running Enterprise managed reporting, ONLY page 1 of the report is sent back to the browse and ONLY page 1 of the report will be cached. This will not adversely impact performance. When reporting in the designer, the entire report is served up, which can take some time.

Sorry to babble, but wnated to cover off a couple things. Use what applies to your situation.

Cheers,

SurfingGecko
Home of Crystal Ease

The main reason for poor performance is that the SQL isn't being processed by the database, check to see that the where clause reflects your record selection formula.

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back