Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to disable internet options menu in SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbicecream

IS-IT--Management
Feb 1, 2005
US
I am trying to find the registry edit setting to disable the "internet options" menu in IE 6.0, running XP Home SP2. I know there is a way to use gpedit with XP Pro, but that doesn't help me.

All the references I can find refer to the following registry key:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions] but I don't have that key listed - it looks like that fix only works in SP1 (
Any ideas on the correct key to modify in SP2? Thanks.

Thanks for the link - the script didn't run, but I realized that I could manually add the key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions] and it works fine (restricts access to the internet options menu). You can still access internet options through control panel or right clicking on the icon, but I think this can be stopped by editing the control panel options: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel].

I pulled the registry edit from this site (#225):
Problem solved - thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back