Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to disable Internet Connection with LAN working

Status
Not open for further replies.

karsh

IS-IT--Management
Aug 5, 2002
IN
Hello
How can i stop a user from going on to the internet with keeping his Local area connections active.
Like i would like him to get the company mail in outlook and also he uses a application which needs a citrix client.
In short i just want him to stop going on the web..
Thanks

I think we need more information on how your users are accessing the Internet before any suggections can be made.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
There are only 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary and those who don't...

True... more info would be helpful. You can make changes in the connection and LAN settings in IE, but if this user uses IE to, say, connect to your intranet, then that could cause problems... unless there are exceptions that IE uses to bypass the proxy and other settings.

Also, you could just rename the IE executable, but again, if they need to use IE to access other things, that would be out of the question.

See! We need more info!

Also, do you access the Internet through a router or a proxy server? On a proxy, it's simple to specify what users have access.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
There are only 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary and those who don't...

The easiest way would be to set the ntfs security properities for IE so that only the administrator group can access it (remove all users except the admin group in the securitys tab). This is assuming they are not local admins. If so you can allways only allow your login access. When they try to run IE it will say the do not have permission. But, all the lan service will work fine still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back