Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How To Disable / Delay Auto Shut Down Process??

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAULRUEZ

MIS
May 11, 1999
US
QUESTION:

I'm putting a motorized removable hard disk in my tower. The docking station part of this is an internal ide connected device - installs just like a zip or CD: power cable and ide cable, that's all.

The insertion/ejection mechanism of the internally mounted docking station ( is motorized and worked very well with win95/98 where the "It's now safe to turn
off your computer" would come up allowing the perfect moment to eject the hard disk.

In today's systems (w2k, xp, 98) HOW can I get the "It's now safe..." message to come up so that I can safely eject the MobileDrive (the cartridge with the hard drive) from the drive station? Or some other way to delay the auto shut down process??

Things looked at/thought about...

(1) PowerdownAfterShutdown is already "0".
(2) Standby mode doesn't save data to disk and am not sure is
safe.
(3) Cannot find place in BIOS to turn off APM (Auto Power Management)

Does anyone know how to shutdown w2k, xp, 98 in such a way as to
get the "It's now safe to..." message to come up --- OR --- have other ideas?

I suppose we could restart, pause the POST and then eject, but I'm hoping there's an easier way.

Here's one solution that was proposed BUT the warning messages this generates scares me.

ARE THERE OTHERS?????

I *believe* I know the correct answer, but hopefully someone can confirm. You need to change the computer type in the Device manager.
Expand the "Computer" category, and you should see either APM or ACPI PC listed.

Select properties and update the driver to Standard PC. This should disable the auto power off, and leave you with the "ready to shutdown" message. However, I would backup the machine before I play with this.

You should be able to go to power options advanced and uncheck enable APM.
This should stop the automatic complete shutdown.

Thanks for your suggestion. It makes sense IF I were able to find an advanced power options to uncheck. In my Power Options Properties I get 4 tabs to select from.
Power Schemes, Advanced, Hibernate and UPS. I find no where to turn this off.

If I'm looking in the wrong place please tell me.

Thanks,

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back