Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Disable Control Panel on Windows 9x

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponganun

Technical User
Jun 12, 2003
TH
Hi all...
I have some problem that don't want my child set anything in Control Panel. How can I do to set disable for control panel on my computer?

I would say to enable "user profiles" and give your child his own settings with either Tweak UI or System Policy Editor( Poledit is a bit much and complicated to set up).....
OR
I know there are a few workarounds....if you only don't want him to not mess with certain settings....oh say...with the "Internet Properties"....or "System"....or "Add/Remove"..or "Display Settings".....the workaround can be quite easy.....
Just do a find(on hard drive.....i.e. C:...) for[*.cpl] (which are mostly in the System Folder...and you'll come up with all the individual system liks to Open each choice in control panel.......
Then rename the file extension till "you'd" like to use it.....
for example DESK.CPL would rename to DESK.OLD(Display Settings).........till you want to use it...in that case...then do a find for desk.old and rname it desk.cpl.....
I just did it to try now and ....the display setting icon was gone from the control panel........also when i right clicked a blank destop area to try and get in that way.....nothing happened.......
Then I changed it back (from desk.old to desk.cpl....and answer "yes" to are you sure you want to change).....and ALL IS WELL...once again

Just remember if you want to use this workaround........(and after renaming the file)
TO Do a find for the extension you changed it to (ie find desk.old)......
It's easy to forget that step...and then you think you've lost the file...

Others are sure to weigh in on this should you want more alternatives.....

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

There's a very simple way to disable "control panel"...corrupt ANY control panel file. Control Panel will not work again until the corrupted file is replaced. Believe me...the entire control panel is worthless if any of its files are bad.

...Mac

Humpty Dumpty was pushed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back