Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to dial up from Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ogoupil

Technical User
Jul 24, 2002
US
Hi all,

I get an user travelling to Japan next week and he will need to connect to our RAS system from overthere.

Do you know what is the string we have to add to obtain an European site or North American site (like from North America, it is 0-11 then European Country Code)?

Thanks a lot
Oliver

Japan uses different providers for overseas calls - and the access numbers are therefore different according to who you use. I presume that your client will stay in a hotel - and they will have an account with one of these providers - so he/she will have to ask the hotel for the international code. What might be more of a problem is the modem. Many phones in Japan are ISDN - they will not work with an analogue modem - and even analogue lines don't seem to work with foreign modems - (I have an Xircom modem that doesn't!). Probably the best bet is to use a hotel that has a network interface - some should have - and connect to it with an ethernet card. In any event it is something to be checked in advance.

Kim Leece.

Many thanks Kim,

I think I'll have him to connect through VPN.

Rgds
Oliver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back