Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to develop desktop (not Windows Store) apps for Windows tablets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPettit

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2003
US
I've been tasked with building an application that will primarily run on a Windows 8 tablet. We don't want to build a Windows Store app. We want to build a desktop app that can respond to tablet features like screen rotation/orientation and touch. Can this be done? It looks like there's an SDK with a tablet simulator for building Windows Store apps. Is there anything like this for desktop app development?

If it matters, I'm using Visual Studio Professional 2013.

I should probably add that my development environment is Windows 7. I was hoping to use a tablet simulator, but it looks like that's only available for Windows 8 environments.

I'm not sure that WinForms will work well on a tablet, as they are not designed to work with tablet-style inputs (e.g., screen touch).

Is it possible to make the app a web form? If you can, it can run in the tablet's browser and should work on any platform, not just Windows.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Originally, the project was a web form, but I need to store about 20Mb of data in the event the user can't get cellular or WiFi signals. I had high hopes of using IndexedDB for local storage, but it wasn't working out for various reasons. We wound up deciding to buy a Windows tablet (not Surface) to see how that works out. I'll update this post if I run into anything of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back