Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to determening the size of a restore before starting it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlta

IS-IT--Management
Dec 30, 2002
AU
I have a backup exec question i was hoping one of you could answer for me. We are using Backup Exec version 8.6 under Windows 2000 Server and im required to perform a restore test once a week to make sure our tapes are storing the data were backing up. We back up about 120 gig of data every night and restoring the whole tape is overkill. What im trying to find out is if there is a way of determening the size of the selections ive made before i run the restore. At present im just using windows explorer to guestimate how much its going to be. If i could use backup exec or even some other app to give me a restore size, it would save me a lot of time and trouble.

Thanks all.

In BE, go to the Restore tab. There should be a list of backups that you have done. If not, you need to catalog your tape(s). If the list is there, expand the tree until you see what you want to restore/check. Then click ONCE on the item and in the right panel you will see the details which includes the size.

If you need to catalog the tape(s), go to the Devices tab and select the tape(s) you need cataloged (I suggest doing one at a time) and right-click on it. One of the options you should see is CATALOG. Select that.

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back