Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to detect software problems on Windows XP pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeroboy

IS-IT--Management
Sep 7, 2006
CA
HI,
I'm working on a HP workstation XW4200. it is running extremely slow. On average, CPU usuage is always above 70% and this causes the computer to frequently crash and give the blue screen of death. (physical memory dump). There was once, i got a blue screen with this error:
IO system verification error invnxtcp.sys
(WDM DRIVER ERROR 20E) [vnxtcp.sys+3e367 at B8EECE37]

I know there is no problems with the hardware. I've run HP diagnostics and all hardware has passed 100%
therefore, i can conclude it's a software problem. The computer is loaded with different third party software and I've tried stopping lots of services, which has helped a tad, but it's still really slow and bogged down.

Is there anyway to detect which software is causing this problem?

Reformating and reinstalling the O/S is not an option, because the workstation has been specially configured to run some kinda special program.

Well I would start by checking task manager and keeping an eye out on your proceeses to see if any of them are spiking to unacceptable percentages. Another helpful tool is to look at your event log in your administrative tools in the control panel to see if any kind of errors are popping up. Basically you should check these things and also run some anti-virus and spyware programms just to be on the safe side.

John

A+ and coming soon: Network +

You can always stop all services and then manually restart them 1 by 1 to see which clogs you up.

Will it Start and run correctly in Safe Mode. Can you check out how it runs if you login as any other user in Normal Mode?

If it is a profile problem then this may help.
811151 - How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile

To get further information about the error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on these sites.

Also check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

If the error occurred after installing a device driver or application, try using Safe Mode and removing the driver or program.

To check your RAM.

To check your Hard Drive.

The drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic software to check your drive for problems.

You can also load the Recovery Console and run ChkDsk /r to check for problems.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

To check your drivers.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

To check conflicting software.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Will check your computer for spyware and adware.

See if you have any services that are flagging as "Starting" but not actually running.

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Windows.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try another user in case your profile is corrupt.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

FAQ779-4784 may help.

windows XP running very slow
thread779-796508

Disable, not uninstall, any unused network adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back