Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to deploy program 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vyper78

Programmer
Feb 5, 2004
AU
Hi

I've recently made my program into an exe ready for deployment, and was wondering the best way to actually do this.
For example, what program do I need that will create the overall exe that will install my program in the right directory and register any "external" files that I have used?
Are there any free ones, or are they all expensive, third party products?

Any ideas and help on this is greatly appreciated

Cheers

V.

Try investigating the Package and Deployment wizard that ships with Visual Studio. It may not be the best but it is 'free' if you already have Visual Studio.

Plenty of references to the PDW in this forum.

It is here
Or have GOOGLE search with "free installer" will turn many results

I would personally advise against the Package and Deployment wizard that comes with VS. Although it does what it is supposed to, it is just not as flexible and as friendly as you want. What's most annoying is that you have to be very sure that you manually put in and register all of your dependency files. Depending on the version of VS that you have, you should have an installer project type in your InterDev. Just open InterDev, select new installer project and then follow the wizard to select the VB project and all that good stuff. It will automatically grab all the dependency files detected in the VB project and you don't have to worry about a damn thing. Also, the interface is just so much more friendlier. On the friendlier note, the installer itself, is much more professional as opposed to the Package and Deployment installer. I hope that helps.
-Max

Thanks everyone for their replies .. I did manage to create an installer using the PDW however I'm sure it attempted to register something (third party?) that didn't need to be registered as it did show an error on installation. However, after ignoring this it installed fine and ran ok.

I will definately have a look at the Interdev version and see what that's all about.

V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back