Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOW TO DEPLOY A REPORT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodo

Programmer
Feb 18, 2002
US
Using CR 8.5 Developer. I have several reports that I am needing to deploy on user's machines that do not have CR (they shouldn't). Anyway, the reason why I purchased this reporting software was because I was told by numerous people that it was extremely easy to deploy and view on other machines. Well, as it happens, it's not as easy as I thought it would be.

Question is: I don't know what .dll's are needed or how to register them to work. Isn't there an easier way to deploy reports without manually cutting, pasting and registering .dll's on user's machines. I noticed several 'canned' CRViewers that are available for purchase on the net; however, I shouldn't have to purchase something that should be included in the package.

Can someone please help me.

Thanks,

-j [spin]

You have various options:

With CR 8.5 is a companion product called Crystal Enterprise which is a WEB based report sharing solution. I believe the licensing is 5 concurrent users, and it's very easy to set up.

OR

Use the Crystal Reports distribution download:

This will create .exe's from the reports with an installer.

OR

Use external code such as VB to write a report viewing application.

OR

A third party tool, such as referenced at:

-k

jodo,

if you go the route of the Distribution Expert (which incidentally is the tool you refer to as 'should be in the package') you may also want to grab the associated White Paper as it has some instructions and a listing of about 100 KBase articles (yeesh)

Cheers,

SurfingGecko
Home of Crystal Ease

Hi there,

One point to mention re the Distribution Expert - it is being phased out by Crystal Decisions and will not be supported.

cheers...J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back