Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to deploy a dll in web page? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fogelda

Programmer
Jun 20, 2001
IL
I have a VB application where all forms are part of dll's (mostly, every form is loaded by loading an appropriate dll in the main program envelope code).
I would like to make a Web application from this VB application. Is there any way I can use existing forms, or I should rewrite the interface?

Thank you in advance
Daniel

Re-write it!
You cannot easily deploy DLL's thru the web - each has to be wrapped in horrible Object tags on the page. You would need to add the DLL's into the VB Installation Wizard to create a web-deployable package. The users must be using Internet Explorer - typically only in an intranet scenario.

Furthermore, your DLL's are probably part of a COM multi-tier strategy. The DLL's may use DCOM to fetch data from the 'middle-tier'. Not much use on the client-side of a Web app!

The DLL's could run on the Web Server, however, if required. Server-Side ASP code becomes the 'client' for the DLLs - or for the 'middle-tier' objects - so you get/set the info via DCOM on the server, and plonk the results into the html stream.

And yes, you would need to re-write each vb screen as the equivalent in ASP. Check out 'Design Time Controls' (DTCs) - these make coding a web page fairly similar to building a VB page.

I believe that VB has other web strategies too, but I am not sure if they would help. (Content Management)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back