Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to deny TCP IP access

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakess

Technical User
Apr 17, 2000
ZA
How can i block a certain pc on our LAN to have no access to my pc. A college is using remote software to shutdown and install junk on my pc. Maybe to block a certain IP or computername. I am aware of IP filtering but need something realy simple which will work well.I have change the permissions.

Jake,

I'm a bit of a newbie on this forum, but would not a firewall work just the same ?

I know in zonealarm, you can block IP addresses, even nortons security has something similar.

r u sure someone has not installed a backdoor program such as backorrifice.

get some good av software, that should block it ok

----------------------------------------
Porsche, There is no substitute.

There are a few things you can try. First up I think you need to virus scan your PC. The website I use to find free / demo apps is Look in the freeware section and you should be able to find something to rid your PC of trojan programs etc.

Next you could try one or two things.

Sygate do a very good personal filewall application which is free and can be downloaded from webattack. This is a bit annoying to start with as it learns what you want to give access to, but once its been installed a couple of days you should have much better control over your network connection.

I had a colleage messing with my computer by installing a service on it which could remotely lock my screen etc. I located the service that was installed by the app he was using and the file that it used on my hard disk. I then deleted the file and renamed a txt file to exactly the same name in the same location. I then changed the permissions on the file so that his account did not have permission to overwrite it. The next time he tried to install his backdoor program it was not able to overwrite the dummy file and so could not be run. Problem sovled.

I guess the best thing to do would be run Windows Update (assuming its Windows you are running) and update everything. This can close a lot of security holes that people exploit.

you should be running updates regardless of a user bothering you. You want a simple form of intrustion detection. Anti-virus should be a given this day and age, but something like Norton Personal Firewall, etc..... can be used if used correctly. A router with access-lists would serve your a great purpose, but you probably aren't in an environment that would require that drastic measure.

Just install a commercial firewall software and then lock it down, many default configurations on commercial products have their own exploits. Be sure to research comments on the software and pre-cautions that are noted from people who have used it.

But again, a simple software firewall shouldn't be a problem. For real protection, in conjunction with IDS, you can just pull the network cable from it when you are't sitting there. This will prevent whomever from accessing the machine in your absence.

Remember that the only security is physical security. Isolation, when possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back