Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to demote NT server with dcpromo? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar36

Programmer
Feb 9, 2003
US
I am helping a small school with 75 computers on an NT server. They had an interface to starband satellite and changed to a T1 line using DHCP and AD. All workstations are either Win98 or Win XP. Now the Internet is really slow and some of the Windows XP Home computers will not log on to the domain. I want to demote the server and go to dedicated IP addresses without AD. What is the risk of doing this with DCPromo and how do I do it? I have used Win2K & Win2k3 server but not NT. Thanks for any inputs

Your first problem is that you cannot demote an NT server with dcpromo. The Microsoft solution is to reformat the hard drive and reinstall NT. The more practical answer is to get UPromote and demote your NT server. It's at
I have used this application one time and it worked as advertised.

The next issue is that Windows XP Home will not log on to a domain. It's strictly peer-to-peer (workgroup) oriented. Whatever you do, XP Home will not join the domain.

Skip Tarrant, MCSE
Choice Solutions of Joplin
Joplin, MO

Lonestar.. JoplinMo is correct, and I too have used UPromote with possitive results.

Good luck

The web spreads like water, hack the channels to create the streams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back