Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to delete the Inventory Collection for all *.pst files ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sa5cha

Programmer
May 29, 2001
DE
Hi,

i created a report about all pst files on our clients hard disks. But the report reported also pst file locations that dont exists anymore. How do i get rid of those database entries ?

Is there a way to clear all entries for *.pst files ?

I have scheduled the to run the "Delete Aged Inventory History", "Delete Aged Discovery Data" and "Delete Aged Collected Files" every night. But it wont help me.

Does someone of you have an idea on how to clear the database entries for a specific file typ (in my case *.pst) out of the software inventory of my sms 2003 servers database ?

Thanks in advance
Sascha

I think that you get this information via the SMS scan and that is where the problem lies.

I.e If your scan is set to run once per week on Monday and you run your report where you see that machine xy has a pst file under C:\Temp folder. Then you delete the file on Tuesday and run another report on Wednesday then SMS will still show that the pst file is under C:\Temp folder on the machine xy because the SMS scan won't run until next Monday.

To solve the issue you need to increase the frequency of your SMS scan. This will offcourse also increase the load on your LAN, WAN and on your SMS servers.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,
GSC

Thank you for your response. But my problem is that I have files in my software inventory which doesnt exists since month anymore.

The pst Files are deleted, and the folder is deleted. But these PST files are still shown in my report.

I just want to get rid of these file entries in the software inventory table so that they wont show up in my reports.

The computer on which these pst files existed must have been inventoried by the sms about more then 10 times. But still the pst files are shown in my report.

Perhaps there is a flag in the sms database like FileExists? And iI just have to extend my reporting query ?

The SQL Statement looks like this:

select SYS.User_Name0 as 'Last Logon User', SYS.Netbios_Name0, SF.FileName, SF.FileSize, SF.FileModifiedDate, SF.FilePath
From v_GS_SoftwareFile SF
join v_R_System SYS on SYS.ResourceID = SF.ResourceID
Where SF.FileName LIKE '%.pst' ORDER BY SF.FileSize DESC

Thank you in advance
Sascha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back