Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to delete data that is duplicated in two different tables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slugmaster

Programmer
Jan 15, 2001
US
I have two tables of the same structure in an Access DataBase. One table is linked from an ODBC source and the other is an Access table. I want to delete the data in the Access table that contains duplicate information from the ODBC table. The tables are joined by the primary key.

When I try to do this, I get an error:
Operation must use an updatable query. (Error 3073).

Here is the SQL:
DELETE fvm_CalResults.*
FROM fvm_CalResults INNER JOIN mt_CalResults ON fvm_CalResults.CTAG = mt_CalResults.CTAG;

What am I doing wrong?

I don't know what you're doing wrong as I'm crap at using INNER JOINs. On the other hand, this is how I would do it:

DELETE *
FROM fvmCalResults
WHERE CTAG IN (Select CTAG from fvmCalResults, mt_CalResults
Where fvmCalResults.CTAG = mt_CalResults.CTAG);

I've used similar code and it does produce the desired results (assumed here that fvmCalResults is your Access table that you want to clear out and mt_CalResults is your Oracle table that you don't want to touch).

Give it a go (on a demo database) and see if it does the trick,

Brendan

Brendan,

I did as you suggested, on a demo database and your SQL suggestion. The result is another error:

The specified field <field> could refer to more than one table listed in the FROM clause of your SQL statement. (Error 3079)

So I tried the following:

DELETE fvmCalResults.*
FROM fvmCalResults
WHERE CTAG IN (Select CTAG from fvmCalResults, mt_CalResults

But got the same error. Any ideas? I can email you the sample Access 97 database. It is not very big.

Sorry not to get back sooner. Friday night etc,

I had a look and I think the problem is that we're not identifying which CTAG is intended in the last two lines of the code and that seems to be confusing things.

Try the following -

DELETE *
FROM fvmCalResults
WHERE fvmCalResults.CTAG IN
(Select fvmCalResults.CTAG from fvmCalResults, mt_CalResults

I think it should do the trick. If it doesn't, you can send on the database to bosully@gofree.indigo.ie and I'll have another look.

Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back