Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to delete all WINS records in NT 4.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mullivan

MIS
May 20, 2002
US
If I go to a domain controller, select Mappings -> Show Database from WINS Manager, select Show All Mappings, and delete all of the displayed records, will that delete ALL WINS records for the domain? I don't want to have to go around to every domain controller and do this...

Thanks.

There is a difference between a WINS server and a Domain Controller. How many WINS servers do you have? If you only have one, you will only need to select "Show only mappings from selected owner" and 'delete owner' once. If you have more than one WINS server, you will select "Show only mappings from selected owner" on each of the servers in your list and each time you will choose "delete owner". This will purge all records in the local database, regardless of whether they originally were registered locally or were replicated from another WINS server. I'm a tad hazy on this, but I'm fairly sure that you will need to go to each WINS server and do this.

You could have 10 Domain Controllers and a single WINS server, or 7 DC's and three WINS servers. You need to identify each server by seeing how many show up in the 'Owners' list.

ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back