Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to delegate print spooler services

Status
Not open for further replies.

windowsfan

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2007
US
I want to delegate printer spooler services to helpdesk so they can stop / restart the spooler services when required, How can I accomplish this using local security policy? Is it possilbe, I do now want helpdesk user to be member or Administrators group.

make them to print operator, thats enough

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

I already tried that, made them memeber of power user group and Print Operator but it did not work.

sorry, didnt notice the local
on the printserver, open gpedit.msc, go to computer configuration-windows settings-security settings-system services-spooler, aktivate the policy, edit it, add the helpdesk, under permissions-advanced you can grant them start-stop the service, apply

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

Make a group and add it to print spooler with full control, in registry add the same group to the spooler service.

Can make full control a lesser permission depending on how many right you give.

Note that printers created b4 this will need to be redone but printer after are fine.

Lemon13,
configuration-windows settings-security settings-system services-spooler is not available on local policy by default, do I have to import template?

theravager
How do I add group to printspooler? Did u mean to say printspooler folder?

sorry, its in the default domain policy

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

I do not want to edit the default domain policy, is there other work around?
Can I try to create a new policy and link to printer OU, will that work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back