Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to decipher .rec files (dbdump) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidMWilliams

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2003
AU
Are there any tools that exist which let one dump the contents of an individual .rec file, as produced by dbdump, so the fields and rows inside can be examined?

Following on, is there a tool to load a single .rec file into a database?

DBLoad insists on clearing the whole database and starting from the top each time. It would be very helpful to have some better tools and control.

Even if the file format of the .rec file could be identified that would be a tremendous help; I could then write such tools myself.

Thanks!

David M. Williams
National I.T. Manager
Advantage Personnel Pty. Ltd.
AUSTRALIA

I know of no tools, but here's a trick. You can a load single table into an empty database simply by moving all the REC files except one (actually, two, don't delete CSAPP). Do your data surgery normally, Dbdump again to get that one repaired REC file, then merge it back with the original set of files. Or, use DTS/Copy to copy just that table back into the original database.

Jay Converse
IT Director
Systemlink, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back