Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to debug total system hang?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psynoff

Programmer
May 9, 2003
US
My notebook used to run Win2k, and occasionally, it would just hang. Mouse would lock up, screen stuck, no amount of pounding on the keyboard would fix it. It happened often enough that I just decided to start over...so I reformatted and installed XP Pro. Worked fine for a while, but over time, the same problem has come back. It's never while running any particular program. Sometimes it happens in the middle of my work, sometimes I come back from lunch and it's hung. Only a complete power cycle gets me going again.

This feels like a driver problem, but there are no updates available from the computer vendor, nor MS.

Can anybody give me some pointers on how to catch this when it happens so that I stand a chance of getting it fixed?

Do you see anything at all in the event viewer? Sometimes you can catch problems there.

It almost sounds like a memory problem? I would look for a program to check your memory with. MAybe someone else can tell you where to find the tool for this. I think Norton Utilities has a program that will check memory.

Good Luck

Jeff
Apexx Technical Consulting

If you Start, Run, eventvwr.msc and look at the System log file you will hopefully find something specific about the crash.

But if the computer freezes there may not be time to write the error entry, and nothing useful can be found.

Many companies produce "Crash Protection" software that is designed to give some details of the application likely to crash, and some way to try and avoid the crash. I have occasionally employed the Norton Utilities version, and the On-Track System Suite 4 (now V-something or other software) for exactly the purpose of learning more details. System Suite 4 I liked better. I am no big fan of these programs for daily use, but they can help in circumstances like yours.

But before making that investment, small as it is, I would download and run at least overnight this freeware RAM testing utility:

Thanks for the tips. I've reset the logs and will be checking those. I've done this in the past and haven't seen anything but normal system chatter.

I ran a memory test (the m86 tester) which turned up no problems.

Thanks linney...I'll try that.

Meanwhile, one thing I've noticed is that the problem only happens after the system has been running for a while...which makes me wonder if it's a heat issue. How can I tell if the CPU is overheating? Frequently, the way it dies is it looks like I've requested a system restart. So the screen goes blank and then displays the Compaq's banner that I see during a boot. But it never boots...it just sticks there. If I power completely off I can reboot.

I used to have a Compaq Laptop that used to do exactly the same thing as you are describing, no amount of updating solved the problem, in the end I put it down to a heat problem because I noticed it would stay alive longer if it was on a desk (which will discipate heat better) rather than my knee. There are supplimentary cooling devices available for laptops that may help you but I think it is just a design floor in Compaq Laptops as I have had no problems with any other brand.

I think I've gotten to the bottom of this issue. I noticed that the system log had an entry in there for the ATI hotkey poller, and it was an error that it had gotten some data it couldn't recognize.

I found a site called that talks about various servies running under XP, and which can be safely turned off. So I turned that guy off.

I also got rid of Norton AV, but it failed to completely remove itself, leaving behind a service called SymTP...got rid of that too.

Between those two driver changes, something seems to have fixed it.

Thanks for the help and pointers folks...they didn't answer the question directly, but certainly pointed me in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back