Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to debug group policy objects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

plomeros

IS-IT--Management
Nov 26, 2001
SE
Hi
I have a farm with citrix Xpe and windows2000server, i have problems with the Gpo:s, does anyone know how to debug the gpo:s?

Best regards
Krille

Depends on what you mean by debugging. If you mean an easy way of determining which GPOs are being applied to which users or computers, then there is a way to do so. You'll need to use the Microsoft Group Policy Management Console, which is the replacement for GPEDIT.MSC that ships with Windows Server 2003. If you don't have Windows Server 2003, you can download a copy of GPMC from Microsoft, but you can only run it on a Windows XP Pro client. To find more info, check:

Also, I guess some settings are being applied via GPO that you wish to troubleshoot. Use the gpresult tool from microsoft. This allows you to see all the policies that are being applied to the currently logged in user as well as any computer policies. It will also tell you which of the policies is effecting a particular change. I believe gpresult is already on Windows Xp pro. You can download it from:

For best results (most detailed ie) use the verbose or super verbose mode.

Hope this helps.

Claudius (What certifications??)

Hi again
I forgot to explain what problem i have, sorry for that.
The problem is like this: When a user with gpo:s applied loogs in, it take up to 90sec. if i disable the gpo:s for the same user it take about 5 sec. to log on. I have made some changes in the gpo-files to specify where favorites should be saved and wich drives the user should see. From the begining the gpo:s work alright but for a coupple of months ago this problem appears.

/Krille

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back