Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to deal with "2D" portions of a 3d model

Status
Not open for further replies.

GR1EVER

Programmer
Mar 6, 2003
US

Hi, I used gmax to create a low-ish poly model that I plan to use in a game.

Now, certain items such as hair or thin articles of clothing that don't stick to the body (like a collar or flap or something) are not really 3d in some games... it is clear that the modeled surface is 2D and textured. While in gmax, i know there is an option in the viewport config dialog that forces 2-sidedness; otherwise, if you turn the camera around so that you're looking behind a face, it won't show.

With that in mind, I wondered how, when playing a game, things like hair or flaps of clothing show no matter where the camera goes, and moreover, both sides are textured.

how do they do this? Just because I disregard normals (force 2-sidedness) in gmax, that does not mean that will carry over when I use the model in my game, right? Even if there was a way to force 2-sidedness in my game, would that solve the problem and/or would it be a good idea (does it take up more computing?)?

P.S. If the following question is easier to answer, then it should suffice as well: how would one go about modelling decent, low-poly, long hair (that shows on both sides)?

you can put a texture on each side of a "one sided" object. just use the top and bottom map. This is how things like leaves are done.

our create 2 sided polygons.
copy the polygon mirror it and weld them toghetter.
you can also do it with a action like cap holes our something like that.. hmm I do not know the exact name anymore. Long time ago I played with it.

The dom thing about Gmax is that it can not export its models to anything you want.. I mostly use .x models for a game I create and Gmax just does not fit. I use milkshape.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back