Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to "de-dup" a database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkat

Programmer
Mar 9, 2001
US
Hey, I have a quick question. I have a database in MSSQL 7 and it has about 16,000 records. I want to be able to remove all duplicat records from the database based on a certain field (ie all records with the same accntID be removed) so i only have a remaining database of unique account numbers and associated fields. any information would be greatly appreciated! thanks!!

thanks again!

Access has a built in 'find duplicates query wizard' that should get you started. Once you use the wizard to build the query, change it to a delete query. Mike Rohde
rohdem@marshallengines.com

After thinking about it for a few more seconds, I realized you can't just convert it to a delete query, because this will remove ALL records that have duplicates instead of leaving one copy of each duplicate.

You might just create a new table with a primary key on the field that you want to filter out the duplicates. Then run an append query. Access will not allow you to append duplicate primary key values. Mike Rohde
rohdem@marshallengines.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back