Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create user equivalent root

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2002
ID
to forum

How to create users equivalent root
cause I worry forgot my root password

Regards
Norman

Hi,

Create a user with UID=0 (security is not based upon login but on UID)

You can use sudo to create user equivalent root.
Good Luck

you need uid=0 to create a user with uid==0 vox clamantis in deserto.

If security is not an issue, you can create a 'root equivalent' by making the uid = 0. Give a different group, so that you always know which 'root' created a file.
For ex. the default group for root would either be 'root' or 'other' or..etc. Setting the root equivalent to another group would help you track down files/direcs created by this id.
Sudo is preferable, but make sure you disable 'sudo sudo' otherwise the user can gain root access.

Ravi

Don't create a uid=0 account other than root - you are asking for trouble. I would recommend keeping the root password inside a sealed envelope and locking the envelope inside a safe. If you forget it, you can then access the password with minimal effort.

Your other alternative is a product like "sudo" to provide a backup method of changing the password to a known quantity.

If you are using Solaris 8 you may also want to look into the built in RBAC (Rold Based Access Control), but sudo is probably better anyway. Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back