Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create Triggers in Access2000 ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzac

Programmer
Dec 20, 2000
US
Hi Friends,

Is it possible to create Triggers in Access2000 mdb? If so can how can I run an application on an append/addnew event?

Thanks

I believe there are several FAQs on this.

Gary
gwinn7

Sorry, not FAQ, I remember prior issues directly related to your question. Try doing a key word search.

Gary
gwinn7

Access MDBs, as a data source, do not provide triggers. (Triggers are special case Stored Procedures on an RDBMS, such as SQL Server.) With MDBs you must write your own trigger-type code in your front-end forms/modules when updating Recordsets. For example, if you have a primary table that you maintain with a form, and you have several other tables to synchronize with it, then you would add trigger-type code in the "AfterInsert" or "AfterUpdate" or "AfterDelete" events of the form/primary table.

Access ADPs (Access Data Project) are not a data source, per se. They generally work as a front end to a SQL Server DBMS. With SQL Server you can write real server-side triggers on tables using either the Enterprise Manager, or an ADP. When working with tables using an ADP, you can right click on a table to design Triggers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back