Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create the relationship for linked table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

longmatch

Programmer
Nov 1, 2001
I have two databases, one is backdatabase with all real tables and the other is frontdatabase with all linked tables. I would like to modify the tables. So I modified the table in the backdatabase and deleted the linked table in the frontdatabase. Then I recreated the linked table to the modified table in the backdatabase. I met the problem to created the relationship between the new linked table with another table in the frontdatabase. I can not enforce referential integrity. The option is greyed out. Anynody knows the reason.

Haijun

Haijun,
I have the same situation as you have.

I found out that the relationships need to be setup in the backend-database where the tables are.

My own explanation on this is that you can't make modifications to the table's config from the front-end database.
The tables are linked, where the link should be thought of as a "bridge to my data", but not controlling the setup of the tables that contain your data.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Regards,

PdtIt

I came across the same problem, wanting to set relationships in the backend, which does not seem possible.

On the other hand, you can set relationships in the frontend, even for linked tables.

so at the end of the day...............

Have you look at the 'Relation Object' in Access help. This should do what you want to do.

Dear Riny:
You said you can not set relationships in the backend, why? You said that we can even set relationship in the front end for linked table. Could tell me how?

I appreciate your help.

Haijun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back