Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create Contact Us email form 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonnieJohnson

Programmer
Apr 16, 2001
US
Hello. I have bought a website template that has a contact us page. On the page is a submit button to send me an email with the user's contact information. There is no code behind the submit form.

Is there a simple tutorial or script that will help me with this?

ProDev, Builders of Affordable Software Applications
Visit me at ==>
May God bless you beyond your imagination!!!

As always, that depends on what technology you have available on your host. An ASP solution will be quite different from a php or coldfusion solution.

There are also third party services/hosts that you can use.

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

I would prefer a asp solution. At least I think I do. Isn't php less used and harder to install on most host?

Do you have any suggestions or know of any script for this?

Visit me at ==>

ASP mainly runs on Microsoft servers (minority) and costs money. PHP runs on the majority of webservers, is free and will already be installed on most commercial hosts. I would only really consider ASP if :
1. Your existing host is a Microsoft only system
2. You will never want to change hosts
3. You are already committed to working in ASP and VBScript and/or VB.NET

If you want the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first.
'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'
Drive a Steam Roller

Forgot to say there are loads of pre-made, pre-tested 'Contact Us' pages available for PHP

If you want the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first.
Drive a Steam Roller

Thanks for the detailed breakdown. I needed that. That sounds great. I will try the php then.

Now my website template already has contact us page that has the same theme as my other pages. Are you saying I should download a sample page and just use the code behind?

Visit me at ==>

Most properly written templates will have content and presentation completely separate. All content would normally be in HTML (which may be generated by PHP etc) and the presentation should all be done using CSS. If this is the case you can use the sample contact us page to generate the content and your standard CSS to provide presentation. You will only need to edit the style names and div names etc on your new contact page to make them match your styles.

Drive a Steam Roller

Thanks johnwm,

I was able to download one, take the code as an example and turn my html page into a php page and it is working fine.

Here is the site I have been developing for a friend.

View the Contact Us page.

Thanks again.

Visit me at ==>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back