Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Create an PC inventory Database in Access 2000 or Access 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

fkane17

Technical User
Jul 9, 2003
US
I am currently managing 20 loaners computers. The computers are used (deployed) only when a user machine crashes and is being repaired.

I have a excel spreadsheet with the following information on it:

Costcenter, Make/Model, Terminal ID, Serial Number, IC#, Location, assigned to, comments.

I do not know how to use ms-access.

I need information on how to build a database where I can query a for example costcenter and see the loaner available.

Open up Microsoft Access and create new database using the File menu.

This will prompt you to save and name your newly created database. Then go to the main screen and click on Tables - New and create a new table either using the design feature or the wizard. As a new user, I would use the wizard, although the other way is just as easy. Create a column for each object in your excel sheet. You may want to consider breaking up your information across the db. for instance put your customer name and company ID in one table with links to tblCompany that contains the Company ID and then the information directly related to that company. You can then go further and create another link from tblCompany to lets say tblAdds which will have all the addresses for your customers, then go further and link a table for phone etc. etc. Once you begin to build your db, you will be able to create forms, and reports to make tracking more efficient

S.C. Albertin
Database Administrator/Newbie Tech
United Way

Help me to find my way, so that I may help others find theirs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back