Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create an alphabetical index in Word 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miha

IS-IT--Management
Mar 18, 2002
SI
Hello to everybody!

Can anyone tell me, how to create an alpahabetical index in word? For exsample all phrases that begins with A under letter A, all with B under B, etc.

Thank you in advance

Hi,

You want to create an INDEX.

You need to have inserted references useing Insert/reference/Index & Tables - Mark Entry/Mark All

After marking all items to be indexed, position your cursor where you want your INDEX and Insert/reference/Index & Tables -- select the FORMAT and any other options and OK

VOLA! :)

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

You certainly can create an index of phrases. However, Word needs to now what those phrases, or word, are. It is not a mindreader, so you have to tell it.

Select each phrase you want indexed (sorry, there is no other way; again, how can Word know unless you tell it), and then follow Skip's instructions above.

Please also read Help for tips on using indexing.

Gerry

There IS another way. Look at HELP on Create and Index - Automatically mark entries by using a concordance file. I've copied the entire document, pasted into a new document, replaced [SPACE] with ^p (paragraph). You can modify this list to delete words you don't want to index and ADD words/phrases you do. Save as Concordance.doc

Insert/References/Index... Auto Mark - Open your concordance file.

VOLA! :)

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Voila indeed. This reflects on a big aspect of design. If know I need an index, I create entries as I go. I use concordance files out of smallish files, but...hey Skip, have you tried doing a replace [SPACE] with ^p (paragraph) on a 400 page document?

Don't. It is not a pretty sight.

Nothing beats forethought.

Gerry

Doesn't have to look pretty -- it just has to WORK!

What if you inherit a document, or scrape a document from some other source???

;-)

Skip,

Oh it works OK. The one time I did it was with an inherited document of over 400 pages. Although I did speed it up with a custom search routine for the phrase/word(s) I was particularly interested in. And yes, certainly content that may come in from other sources can be an issue. I think we can drop ths thread, as I just wanted to make the point (a bugbear of mine I admit), that in general, it is good document design to anticipate needs.

For example, whenever I make a new section break for a chapter, I always make three blank pages and set the header/footer for them immediately. I then delete the empty pages. The header/footer information for those pages remains, stored in the section break. That way if the text does in fact expand beyond one page the header/footer will automatically be filled in correctly.

Man, I gotta shut up. Sorry.

Gerry

Gerry,

Great points regarding sound design and forethought! I'm with you!

Too often the situation arises, even if you THOUGHT that you asked all the right questions gathering requirements, that the user throws in the proverbial,

"Oh, by the way..." [bomb]

Skip,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back