Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create a virtual gift wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerte

Programmer
Nov 9, 2001
GB
I have created a website for a small charity.

Now they want to start a fundraising page based on the standard buy a brick campaign, where every sponsor will have their name added to a brick.

Initially they want a virtual wall on the website, that will be transferred to a physical wall when the project they are collecting for is completed.

Basically, on the website, they want an unlimited number of brick rows, each row containing about 8 bricks, with alternative rows having a "half brick" at each end to give the brick bond effect. As people buy a brick their names will be added, with the possibility of a hover effect pop-up showing more details (e.g. message, logo or photo).

If anyone attempted such a thing can you give me an idea of which would be the best way to achieve this: divs, tables ?

Many thanks

If anyone attempted such a thing can you give me an idea of which would be the best way to achieve this: divs, tables ?

they want an unlimited number of brick rows, each row containing about 8 bricks, with alternative rows having a "half brick" at each end to give the brick bond effect
Called "Flemish Bond" in the 'brikkie' trade

Any way you prefer, but it will not be functional the way you want using HTML and CSS, unless you intend to re-write the HTML code manually each time some one purchases a 'brick' or several bricks. The actual design is relatively simple, using CSS styled elements rather than 'tables', as a table layout would require lots of "colspan=2" attributes.

The 'back end' you are looking for is basically a "Pay Per Pixel" aka "PixelAd", websites that were prolific for a short while in the recent past. with a 'brick wall' design for the 'theme'.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back