Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create a select box with click & drag

Status
Not open for further replies.

49er

Programmer
Aug 24, 2000
US
This is a rather interesting one...I have a page with a map on it. One of the functions I have written on the server is to allow them to zoom in or zoom out the map (so for instance if there is a map of the US they can zoom in to a particular state.) Right now I use the onClick event to capture the coordinates and send that to my server, the map then zooms in a predetermined distance. I want to allow the user to define how far to zoom in by allowing them to click and drag on the map, thereby creating a box, that is used to zoom in to. I figure I can capture the onmousedown and onmouseup coordinates but is there a way to actually draw the box with dhtml or something similar without creating another trip to the server? Thanks a whole whole lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back