Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create a second network point in a room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigHappy

Technical User
Jun 1, 2005
GB
Hi

I already have a working broadband network point in my office, but I want to move to the other side of the room and need to have a second working network point there.

I have tried wiring the second point directly into the back of the original point, like (piggy backing the first) but this stops all network connection.

So I would like to know if I create an extra RJ45 point next to the original point and wire that to the one on the other side of the room. Then plug a patch lead from original to the extra point, will that work?

I have done a little sketch to explain -

Many thanks

Craig.

If you mean to replace the original jack with the new jack, yes that will work. If you mean to have 2 working jacks (one on each side of the room for two network connections), there will be a bit more configuring involved - but still easily doable.

If you want two (or more ) then add a 5 port (or larger) switch

If you mean to have 2 working jacks (one on each side of the room for two network connections), there will be a bit more configuring involved - but still easily doable."

Please explain doable, as this is the situation -
This room is an out building about 30 meters from the main house, the router and hub/switch live in the main house.
Currently there is only one cat5E cable running to the out building from the house.

Long term I would like the RJ45 points both available, one for my laptop and one for a desktop system.
I have wired the cables as shown in the diagram into the walls so it's nice and tidy.
So if there is a way of getting both working, without cables running inside the room, I'm all ears!
(Obviously there will be a patch lead running from the point to each computer). lol

Many thanks

Craig.

connect the incoming from the main house to a small switch "4 port" then connect your computer to one port and the second location to another port

Like skip and allisland said - a small switch is easily the best way. Cheap and easy and will give you 4 or more ports.

If there is absolutely no way to get a small switch, you could technically split the original RJ45 jack into two jacks but it is not recommended as it's probably an unreliable connection but would work in a pinch - you'd have to split the original line at the out-building end and the main house end (And this is assuming there is an open port on the main house switch). But I would invest every bit of my soul into talking you out of that way unless there is really no way to get a switch for the outbuilding.

Oh - I should definitely add that the second way of splitting the cat5 is nothing I would EVER do for a customer - I might do it for myself if I was in a bind and needed 2 jacks and all the other conditions were met...

Many thanks for all the tips guys, I'm doing this tomorrow, so I'll let you know how I get on.
I agree that the switch in the out building will be the best option.

Many thanks again.

Craig.

Is splitting a RJ-45 jack into 2 jacks a common practice?

I didn't split the jack, not sure that is common practice, probably not.

I used the original suggested method, by running a patch cable across two ports and connecting the third port to the second behind the partition walling.

Many thanks for everyone's help and advise.

Craig.

It is NOT a common practice and NOT recommended!

Now with POE and 100BASE-T using more than 2 pair, you are just asking for trouble. Get a small switch if you need more ports!

....JIM....

I use the Hubbell splitter on both ends and have no proble running 100m over both. no messing with the terminations on the jack, just plug and play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back