Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create a running total? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maisie2007

Technical User
Apr 12, 2007
CA
Hi,

I'm trying to create a running total for a general ledger type of worksheet, but am getting the wrong amount in D14, the bottom total.

What should my formula look like in D3 through D14?

I'm figuring an IF statement of some kind?

Thanks!

Hi,

Think about it. What is your formula creating? a running WHAT???

TOTAL? Yes, a TOTAL.

What is the value, 195.48, in row 13? A WHAT? A TOTAL?

So what are you doing in row 14? A TOTAL of all your month's totals???

Why does there even need to be a TOTAL row?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Hi,

It's a running total for deposits I have made to this account over the year - so from April through September, I have deposited a total of $195.48. This is what should show in D14.

I don't know how to make the balance column show nothing if I haven't made any deposits or withdrawals that month....?

Oh, I see, there doesn't need to be a D14......

But how can I maked sure nothing shows in D8 through D13 if there's no deposits/withdrawals?

Thanks!

Will you only be making one deposit or one withdrawl from that account per month? I would use a date column, an amount column, and then one cell for a total (preferably at the top of the spreadsheet).

BTW - If you format columns B, C, and D as currency, it will not drop the last 0 like you have in cell D6. If you don't like the dollar signs, format them as two-digit decimals.

--
JP

If you set up your table as a LIST, you can add a new row AS NEEDED, and the formulas will be propogated into the new row.

Data > List

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Maisie: You could use Row 14 to total your year-to-date debits and credits, if this information would be helpful. In B14, for instance, just enter =sum(b2:b13).

good luck.

To create a running total...

Assume your amount starts in A2 and runs down the column.
To create the running total in Column B, in B2, type =sum(A$2:a2) and copy it down.

To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under the sun.

I would be more likely to do it a little differently. If I wanted the total of the amounts in column B, I'd use the following formula in cell C1:

=Sum(B1:B1000)

It's unlikely one would be making more than 1 deposit a day but you could take money out as well. That B1000 is just a number I pulled out of the air. If it's for deposits only, you could use B365, assuming one deposit a day.

No pick and drag needed. And by having the total in a higher row, you don't have to scroll down, down, down, down to find out how much money you have. ;-)

--
JP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back