Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create a report 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

raymondbirch

Technical User
Jun 28, 2001
SE
Hi, i have 2 tables in the same database. One table has a primary key called "names" and the other table has a field with the same name. In other words i have a 1:N which works great in Access. Now i want to create the same type of "report" in UD as i have in Access. What this report does is list an individuals different jobs over the years, so if you type "your name", then all the jobs you have ever had come up in a list. I´m explaining too much maybe ?

Anyway, i want the same function in UD, but all that happens is i get a long long list which keeps on repeating the same name for every post....not what i wanted....

Help please......

Raymond Birch

Try the following SQL in the "by-hand-coder" - could not work depending on the DBMS you're using:

Assumption: Your tables are called 'first' and 'second', and the field is called 'name' in both of them...

select * from first inner join second on first.name = second.name where first.name = blabla

Then you create a custom variable called 'blabla' in the field below (you can call it something else if you like :)) and write in there:

Request.Form("name")

Assumption: The name is passed in a form and the form field that contains it is called 'name'. If it's passed via an URL parameter (like an URL that looks like you would have to write:

Request.QueryString("name")

At least that's the easy way in my opinion (as it's not all too product-specific) - the hard way is via assistants and stuff, maybe somebody can show you that too...

Hope this helps
allow thyself to be the spark that lights the fire
haslo@haslo.ch - www.haslo.ch​

Try the following SQL in the "by-hand-coder" - could not work depending on the DBMS you're using:

Assumption: Your tables are called 'first' and 'second', and the field is called 'name' in both of them...

select * from first inner join second on first.name = second.name where first.name = blabla

Then you create a custom variable called 'blabla' in the field below (you can call it something else if you like :)) and write in there:

Request.Form("name")

Assumption: The name is passed in a form and the form field that contains it is called 'name'. If it's passed via an URL parameter (like an URL that looks like you would have to write:

Request.QueryString("name")

At least that's the easy way in my opinion (as it's not all too product-specific) - the hard way is via assistants and stuff, maybe somebody can show you that too...

Hope this helps

Oups - duplicate post. Sorry...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back