Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create a "New Message" from a desktop icon. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DbHd

Programmer
Dec 20, 2004
Seems like all day long I'm creating email and have to restore outlook (from minimized) to get to the icon to begin a new message. How would I go about creating a shortcut on the desktop that would directly open the create new message window?

Because I'm also in the other office apps, I don't want to leave Outlook in normal view.

So cool! Thanks....

Here's another way that requires only a single click. I've created a shortcut button on my taskbar to open a new email message, (as well as one for a new appointment, contact, task, and stickynote). No matter what windows I have open, a new "item" is one click away.

1. Right-click on your desktop, New, Shortcut.
2. Enter the following for the location of the item (including quotes):
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE" /c ipm.note
3. Click Next.
4. Enter "New Email Message" for the name of the shortcut, and click Finish.
5. Drag this shorcut to your QuickLaunch toolbar. Doing this will always allow a new message to be created with 1 click, no matter what windows you have open.

To create shortcuts for other items, repeat but replace ipm.note with:
Appointment: ipm.appointment
Sticky Note: ipm.stickynote
Task: ipm.task

The default icon is the shortcut to the Outlook icon. To change to something more appropriate:
1. Right-click the shortcut, select Properties.
2. On the Shortcut tab, click Change Icon...
3. Select the icon you want, or browse to another icon. For instance, I changed my new email icon to c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\FORMS\1033\NOTEL.ICO, which looks more like a mail icon.
4. Click OK.

Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back