Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create a prompt to allow multiple value

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTCMS

Programmer
Sep 17, 2003
US
Text Prompt under Value Prompt can only allows a single value input from users. Is there any other options to create a prompt that end-users can input more than one values?

Like when you do a "qualify on an attribute" and then pick "text box"?

Thanks for replying me. I'm fairly new for using MicroStrategy to create reports. Can you give me more explanation for creating an element prompt? Thanks again.

I think I know what is element prompt now, I tried but doesn't work for my situation. I can't use an element prompt cux there'll be too many elements to load, it took about 10 mins. And I can't use a filter to eliminate some elements. Thats's why I need another alternatives.

Why not try limiting the number of elements that MicroStrategy brings back in the element prompt? You can do this in the Web preferences or in the desktop thru the Project Configuration settings. Let's say you've got 10,000 elements, you can specify it to only bring back the first 1000, and speed up the retrieval process that way. Also, once you've got some of them back, you can then search for others.

In Desktop (I've got 7.2.2) look at the Project Configuration, Project Definition, Advanced tab, and see the "Attribute Elements Browsing" settings. Or in web, look at Preferences, General making sure you're on the Project Defaults preferences level, and check out the Incremental Fetch option. Play with those settings, and see if that will help speed up your element prompts, and allow you to do what you want to do. Don't forget to check out the searching capability as well, once you've retrieved the first X number of element rows for an attribute.

Hope that helps.

Nate

Thanks to all for helping me again. I used "qualify on an attribute" and change the prompt style to "Text File and Shopping Cart". That's what I need for the report. But I'll try Nate's suggestion and play around with the setting options. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back