Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to create a login screen like hotmail.com 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

srinuk123

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2000
IN
hello all<br>
i want a solution from all the people to implement like hotmail.com.<br>
whenever a user logs in in hotmail.com he is validated and is taken to the inbox screen. but once the user clicks the back button he is taken to a page where he is asked to reenter his password but the forward button even if he clicks he is not shown the same inbox.<br>
please help me out as soon as possible with a solution.<br>

There are many different approaches to doing something like this. The method you choose will depend on your server side design. Are you using your own database to authenticate users, or using the web server's authentication? Are you using session variables or cookies, or some other method to maintain state?<br>
<br>
I'd suggest doing some research on state management in Active Server Pages. A good place to start is <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> They host a mailing list dedicated to the subject.<br>
<p>nick bulka<br><a href=mailto:nick@bulka.com>nick@bulka.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

thank u nick for u r prompt reply.<br>
but i am doing with database ie sql7.0 and some session variables. can u help me with some code to simulate this.<br>
i will be thank ful to u.<br>

I've never used Web-based HotMail so. I hope I get what you're saying....<br>
<br>
<br>
Well, you need to figure a method to rewrite the backbutton first. Here is a 4guys article <A HREF=" TARGET="_new">This should do the backbutton to the login.<br>
<br>
I'd suggest a redirection page to send people to different InBox's (All Paths lead to the redirection Page), and set a cookie value( or Session) at each page the User goes to and have the redirection page parse the cookie and send them to a different page. If the pages they are sent to is Random, and you want them to visit different pages each time, just have the cookie appended with a delimiter instead of reseting it (like 1_4_3_2_34_), so the redirection page can see all of the pages the User has been to. (Even though you can just assign different cookie values, this is a little more efficient IMO)<br>
<br>
Hope this helped,<br>
Jeremy Lowery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back