Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create a local image with Zenworks 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

scubagirl2

Technical User
Nov 7, 2008
US
First, I am a newby to Zenworks imaging.

I have a new WD external hard drive. The hard drive is formatted NTFS. I want to make a local image to it. I can successfully mount it (/dev/sdb1 /mnt/harddisk). However, in the "Path to image archive" I don't know what to put that works. I've tried "/mnt/harddisk/vc183.zmg" and I get a "System error: 30". I've tried to find out what this is without success. I've created a folder on the hard drive and pointed to that with no success. I copied an old image from the server to the external hard drive and tried to save to file (by choosing to overwrite it) with the same "system error: 30". If I simply type in /vc183.zmg for the path it looks like it is running then stops and errors (goes back to the bash#). Maybe I need to load something else on the WD External Harddrive?

You need to tell the OS that you are mounting an NTFS partition. The command you are using assumes it is a Linux native partition.

Try this command.
Code:
mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/harddisk

And just to clarify, you are trying to image a local internal disk and place the image onto an external USB disk correct?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt SPOOOOON!!!!! [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Brent, thank you for your response.

Yes, I want to image a local internal disk to an external USB disk which is connected to the PC I want to image (the image would be bigger than I want on the server). I make images to the server frequently and all I do is put in the IP address and folder and new file name of what I want and it works. I've never tried a local image before.

I tried typing in your command at the "Path to image archive" and I get 2 errors. First, "Archive file is invalid" and then "System error 2".

What I left out in my first post is that I do go to "Browse" and then click on the "mount" button. For "Device name" I put in /dev/sdb1 and for "mount point" I put in /mnt/harddisk and for the "Filesystem type" I choose NTFS. When I click "ok" I receive no error. And I no longer see it on the first window under the "Include Partitions". So I believe it does know it is an NTFS file system already.

Could the issue be the size of the image? My internal hard drive has about 60GB of data.

The command is ment to be used at the bash prompt, not from with in the image tool

I have not used NTFS as the file system to store a Zen image before, so I can only assume the problem is write access to the file system. There are methods to mount an NTFS partition in read/write mode, but they may not be included in the Zen boot image. In fact the external drive I use I formated with the FAT32 file system so that I could go between both Windows and Linux hosts because SLED didn't come with an NTFS driver that could write to an NTFS partition.

Do you need to be able to access this drive from a Windows box after you have stored the image onto it? If not, then I would reformat the drive with EXT3

Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Sorry, I forgot to add that I did try your command at the bash prompt. It did not work - same errors. On the "File System Type" list FAT32 is not listed. I would have to access the image from a Windows box in the future - providing I can even create it, of course.

I really appreciate your help. If you think of anything further please let me know. I'm going to keep plugging away.

Thought of a little more detail. When I'm in the Imaging tool I can click on "browse" and see the folder I created on the External Hard Drive. This would indicate to me that I can read my external hard drive (but maybe not write?). I'm wondering if the problem lies in the "Archive File is Invalid" error.

Using a FAT partition wouldn't work for you anyway, it's limited to 2GB file sizes.

To accomplish what you are trying to do, you need a file system that can handle large file sizes (like NTFS or EXT2/3).

Follow this CoolSolutions article on the EXT2 way:

This route you can not read the disk on a Windows machine with out using something like

To continue to use NTFS on the USB drive, you would need to compile and insert a driver capable of writing to an NTFS partition in Linux.
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back