Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create a documentation with "table of content and index" in 8.5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob318

Programmer
Nov 26, 2003
CA
I would like to use crystal report 8.5 to generate a documentation. How can I have a table of content as the first page with the correct index page number. Thank you

For CR 9, see the following document:

For CR 8.5 you would need to use a UFL that allows you to write entries to a text file. This would be similar in approach to the document above except that instead of using subreports to update a database table with section headers and page numbers, you would use a UFL function to write to a text file.

You can create such a UFL on your own or use a 3rd-party UFL such as my "CUT Light" or those listed at:

hth,
- Ido

CUT, Visual CUT, and DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

An index of your document is possible....but a first page Table of Contents isn't...unless you make it the last page of the document and then shuffle it to the top after you print it out. This is because Crystal really doesn't plan the paging before the report so until it prints the document it has no idea where the pages are set.

the Index (or fake Table of Contents) is done by storing key section headings and their page numbers in arrays for printing in the report footer.

The setup of these arrays depends on the number of items that you wish to report page numbers on and the display depends on the look of the index and how much information is stored in each element (which you have not provided us)

An example of what you want the index/Table-of-Contents to look like would be helpful...as well as what items are to be "trapped" for inclusion in the index/TOC...for example: are the items to be flagged...group headers of the report??

Give us more details of what you are trying to achieve by examples and we shall see what we can do.

Jim Broadbent

The quality of the answer is directly proportional to the quality of the problem statement!

IDO - This article applies to CR 9.0...I am not sure it is feasible for CR 8.5

Jim Broadbent

The quality of the answer is directly proportional to the quality of the problem statement!

Sorry IDO...I jumped the gun on that...you did mention that it was for CR 9.0

Actually using a subreport for a table of contents or an index might be feasible...without changing the database.

It would amount to running the report twice...once to store/report the table of contents and once to generate the actual report...

The practicality of doing this would depend on what type of report this is....Bob318 has really told us nothing about the report

Jim Broadbent

I have think about a solution for this myself.
on the main report create a globle array and on each header just insert the page number into that array. but the problem is the table of content will display on the last page. Hope this work. Thanks for your great help.

I am new to Crystal and am trying to accomplish basically the same thing. But I am using crystal decisions .net (2003 VS if it helps)

I am having problems getting the arrays to work correctly, does anybody have an example report or a simple tutorial they can point me to?

Thanks fredp1 that link helped alot. It has pointed me the right directions. now all I have to do is pass an array from crystal back to vb .net and I have my report finished. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back