Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create a custom startup screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntabita

Programmer
Feb 23, 2001
US
I'm trying to create a custom startup screen with our new company logo.

I know that the file must be saved as a PICT resource file, placed in the System Folder and named 'Startup Screen'.

I downloaded a free one and it works just fine, but the custom one I create will not work.

Does anyone know what I'm missing? I'm on a G4/OS9

Well that's certianly one way to do it.
I've done it a little differently here. How many client machines need to have this action performed?

What software are you using to create your "new" one?
Photoshop? Graphic Converter? What?

I used ResEdit and opened the resources on the system file. That may not be what you are looking for but if it is something you want to do you'll need ResEdit (free) and a copy of the system folder to work with.

I'll check back in soon and see what you think.

In the meantime I'll see if I can't figure out how to smooth out the rough edges the way you ARE doing it.

Thanks for the reply. Actually, the solution is that the file must be named "Startupscreen" (no spaces), instead of "Startup Screen".

This method diables the progress bar, but I want to avoid ResEdit, since I have to do this to about 10+ Macs and it's only temporary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back