Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create a Cascading prompt 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nphani77

Programmer
Jun 11, 2003
US
Hi,
How to create a Cascading prompt-->
i.e suppose if i have one hierarchy called time.
Year quarter month week.
The prompt should come in such a manner that first it should
ask for year and once year is selected it should ask for quarters in that year only and once Quarter is selected it should ask only for months in that quarter..so on and so forth..Rightnow i am getting all the prompts in one window only...i want them as cascading one.
Pl. suggest the sol. ASAP

Thanks and Regards

--------------- Quoting the above post ----------
Let's create a Series of Cascading Prompts for the Island Resort Marketing Universe. We'll simply work our way through the Resort class for a quick example. All of the prompts will be fairly similar, and I am going under the assumption that everyone has some Designer Experience.

Let's start at the Highest Level that we'd need a prompt for. That would be the Resort itself, since we need to know what Resorts we're interested in.

* Edit the List of Values for the Resort object.
* Check the Automatic Refresh Before Use option.
* Click Edit.
* Bring Country into the Conditions and set it to: in list Prompt('What Country are you interested in?')
* Click Save and Close
* Click Apply and edit the next LOV object.

Edit the Service Line and set up the same Prompt on Resort as: in list Prompt('What Resorts are you interested in?')
Again... Save and Close, ensuring that the Automatic Refresh Before Use checkbox is selected then Edit the next.

Service will have: Service Line in Prompt('What Service Lines are you interested in?') with the Automatic Refresh...

--------
Save this Universe and let's generate a report.
--------

Generate a report that pulls in the Country, Service Line and Revenue. Set a prompt on Service Line and apply a prompt as a condition asking: 'What Service Lines are we tracking?'

Refresh this report.

For the Service Line, click on Values.... A new Prompt should appear, asking about the Services. Again... click the Values button, and so on... and so forth.

Once you've answered the questions, you only need to hit the Values button when you need to backtrack to another level.

Steve Krandel
Knightsbridge Solutions
formerly BASE Consulting Group

Thank you Steve..
I have tested it...Its working fine.
Thanks once agin

Regards,
phani

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor