Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to creata a license number routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirdieNamNam

Programmer
Feb 12, 2004
SE
Hello dear friends!

I have build an application that I'm planning to sell. It will be distributed as shareware and I will sell licenses. My concern here is how to handle the registration things.

I am not asking for a fullproof system, but I want to avoid "easy" distribution by the buyers. It is a rather limited distribution playground, only for sport halls in Sweden.

My thoungt is to build a demo license number, that will tell the application when to quit ("Not valid after 20/4/2004"). There will also be a "payed" license, with different acces rights.

The only idea I have is to make a long license number, containing access rights / or end date. There will also be some calculated checksums in the number, calculated with the first letters in the registated name. The licence number, I will store in a regestry, and every time started, the application will check the access rights and checksums.

Anyone that has a nice hint on a better way to solve this?

Best regards, Sebastian.

Hi Sebastian:

You might want to look at thread222-530751.

Cassandra

If you go to and register as a member, you wil find a pretty good schema of dynamic registration, that you can adapt to your application.
Good lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back