Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to count items on group header (Desparate in need of help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2001
US
I have a report grouped by state,location, and person. Each person may have more than 1 record. How do I count the number of people at a location? If I do a count on the persons id field which is in that group header it still counts their detail records. So if I have 3 records, two belonging to John Smith, and one to Martha Helms inside of a location, I get a count of 3 people, even though there were only 2. Help (I am sure I am missing something easy)

Probably not the "right" way to do this .. but what works works, right? Here's what I'd do:

Create a select query grouped by State - Location - Person against your original table (query, whatever) - What this does is in essence create 1 record for each person within location

Create a second select query based on the above, grouped by State - Location - Count([person]) - counts the number of people in your above locations

Join the above in a query to your original table, then base the report on your newest query.

Good luck - since you said "desperate" I'll add the e-mail notification if you have any questions.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back