Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to correctly move IIS 5.0 working folders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlaa

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2002
AU
How to correctly move IIS 5.0 working folders?
For example: from c:\inetpub to e:\inetpub.

Is not an option for you to make virtual directories on E drive and leave c:\inetpub as it is?, maybe that would be better than moving inetpub to e: A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

1. Download and install the MetaEdit utility from Microsoft. You will need it to move SMTP to another drive.
2. Copy C:\Inetpub to the E:\ drive. I usually delete the e:\inetpub\adminscripts and e:\inetpub\iissamples folders. Also, if you plan on moving the log files to the E: drive, create an E:\Weblogs directory.
3. From within ISM, configure the Default Web Site by deleting the IISAdmin and IISSamples directories. Under Scripts properties, change the location to e:\inetpub\scripts. Under Default Web Site Properties, remove iisstart.htm from the document list, change the log file location to e:\weblogs and set to local time. Change home directory to e:\inetpub\4. Within ISM, configure the FTP Site properties. Change the log file location to e:\weblogs and set to local time. Change home directory to e:\inetpub\ftproot.
5. Within ISM, configure the SMTP Virtual Server properties. Enable logging and change the log file location to e:\weblogs, set to local time, and set extended properties for Time, Client IP, Server name, Method, and URI Query. Run Metaedit and search for instances of “inetpub”. Replace “c:\inetpub” with “e:\inetpub” in 5 locations (SortTemp, Pickup, Queue, Drop, and Box). Stop and Start the SMTP Site from within ISM.
6. From the computer management console, configure the Index Server application. Delete the “Web” catalog. Create new catalog called “Web” with a location of “e:\inetpub”. Start the Index Server if you need it. I usually disable the index server service.
7. Set necessary IUSR_ and IWAM_ permissions starting at e:\inetpub and propagating down. I usually set to RX. Also, set permissions for IUSR_ and IWAM_ to also WRITE on the e:\inetpub\mailroot\pickup directory for SMTP.
8. Finally, delete c:\inetpub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back