Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to correct calling name for calls to cell phones in the US 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lundah

Technical User
Nov 2, 2001
US
Outbound calls from my organization to cellular numbers have started showing a calling name of "Public Service" instead of the CNAME data being sent by our carrier. How to I get the cell carriers to correct their data so the customers we call actually get the correct name displayed? From what our carrier tells me, each cell provider uses their own data, but of course none of them make the process to correct this information readily available.

I've submitted the numbers via freecallerregistry.com multiple times, and we aren't being flagged as robocalls, but that's not the issue we're having. For calls to carriers that use TNS, for example, they display the category of our org ("Public Service" since we're a local government) instead of the actual org name.

The problem is how CNAM works....

You don't transmit your name, only your telephone number. The telephone company serving the person RECEIVING the call takes your number and does a database dip to find out the Name to deliver to the receiver along with the number. If that database is out of date, or incorrect, or the carrier just does something stupid like showing a location based on the area code and prefix, that's what the other party will see on their phone.

You can contact your own carrier and ask them to resync your CNAM into the database, which will broadcast it out to all the other databases that care to listen, and update their records. It can take a month or more for databases to update, and it is possible for your caller ID to not update on the database that your callee is using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back