Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to copy files from Unix to W2kserver and retain owner/permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton213

MIS
Jun 14, 2001
US
I guess that's the question. I'm moving some files (Office files) from our IRIX server to our w2k server and I'd like to retain the permissions and owner/group. I know these aren't completely analogous between the two OS's, but if there is some way to come close I'd like to know.

Also, does anyone know of a good reference or web page on Unix/Windows interoperability? Our new Windows server wants to rule the world, and I could use some help keeping it reigned in :)
Barb

There is a M$ add-in called Windows SFU (Services For Unix), which included NFS, NIS compatibility, a telnet server & things like that. If you can find it, it is really cheap (~£200), but you may have to ask for it by part number cos last supplier I tried had never heard of it and it wasn't in the book either. But it's well worth it if you are going to try and get full integration between UNIX & W2K.

I tamed 2000 to the extent that we were using our NIS server to vaildate PC network logins and auto-mount unix file systems into Terminal Server sessions. (Aren't I just the bee's knees !). It can be done. ;) Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back