Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to convert scanned documents to PDF/XPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

heintze

Programmer
Nov 19, 2005
US
My tax accountant is having trouble with my scanned documents and would prefer I scan my documents and then convert them to PDF or XPS before I email them.

I have the latest Microsoft Office. Can someone recommend an approach to accommodating various resolutions of various printers that my accountant might use to view my scanned documents?

I know that there are a lot of "free" PDF writers out there and I have used them in past. Most of them have an obnoxious water mark and add obnoxious buttons on the microsoft office tool bars (I hate those extra buttons on my tool bars). These could do the job.

I guess at this point I'm asking for your favorite solution.

Siegfried

There is an add-on for Office, see:

Print, share, and protect files in the PDF and XPS file formats

2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

My tax accountant is having trouble with my scanned documents...
If you're already scanning them does your scanner not have an option to scan to PDF directly? What format are you scanning to?

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

It currently produces jpg files. I checked the UI and could not find an option to create PDF files.

Does leave a water mark on ever page? Apparently it puts a button on all the Microsoft Office Products. Is the button on a horizontal tool bar line all by it self so you get less screen space unless you kill that tool bar everytime you open up an office product?

thanks,
siegfried

No Watermarks.

I'm using Office pro 2010 and don't have a toolbar for Primo at all

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

There are many ways to do this. A couple of good ones are primopdf as already mentioned or if you have Word 2007, 2010 or OpenOffice (free) then you can import the images to a document and save it as a pdf. Personally I use PaintShopPro to print to a primo "printer" for scanned documents and OpenOffice for scanned images.

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

doPDF is free and has no watermarks and you do not have to install the annoying toolbar option (i never do!)

Same thing for CutePDF... No watermarks, no toolbars... You just print with it as you would any printer and tell it where to save the PDF file.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran!

I'll throw in Foxit. Also free and installs as a printer. However, have you checked your scanner or mfd? It may be able to scan directly to a pdf file. I have an Epson Workforce 310 mfd. One of the scan options is to pdf file. Works well!

What kind of problems is your accountant having? Tell him to find better software to view your documents, after all, YOU are paying him, not the other way around. Just saying.....

PRPhx,

OP hasn't responded since posting the question...

as infrequent as he is posting, I am assuming that he is just not replying to his own threads... (5 year membership, 25 threads started and a whole 26 responses)...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back